[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FMS Forum • View topic - Open Source? - Open Source?

Open Source? - Open Source?

Postby cgadd » Fri Aug 17, 2001 11:56 pm

If I remember correctly, Michael at one point mentioned that releasing FMS as open source was being considered.

I'd like to know what kinds of things influence that decision? I'd love to see it open source, as I believe it would allow more programmer to contribute, and would allow more features to be added, and more improvements to be made.

If there are problems with releasing it as open source, maybe some of the people here can help find ways to get past the problems.

If it ends up that open source isn't appropriate, maybe assembling a team of volunteer developers who could contribute to the project.
cgadd

Postby Norbert » Thu Sep 06, 2001 8:15 am

Hi cgadd,

in Germany we say 'many cooks will make a mess of paste'. If you ever tried to develope any software you know how difficult it is to keep survey to the names, parameters and types of variables, functions and procedures. Within a program with thousands of instructions (I suppose FMS will reach 10.000 instructions of a high level language) strong rules must be followed to keep all threads under control. Making such a program by more than one programmer needs defining clear interfaces and very closely working together.

I think, programming of any source code worldwide distributed in the internet will very fast damage even the best program because of weak attempts of lots of free time programmers making new bugs without end or even of some people making their jokes with intentional faults or viruses. We would find hundred's of program versions but not even one of which you could say all bugs to be fixed. Do you think to have the patience downloading all these programs for testing with all risk to your computer - not me!

Giving source code free to unknown people does only have some sense when giving up the project. As you could read within this forum two months ago, 'FMS is not dead', and Michael Möller is still working at release no 7.

So we can hope to get a good new program version without any further risks.

Best regards
Norbert Graubner[br]Im Kalkofen 9[br]D-55268 Nieder-Olm
Norbert

Postby cgadd » Thu Sep 06, 2001 6:39 pm

I currently manage software development with a team of 10 programmers, located all over the world. (3 locally in denver, 1 in Texas, 1 in Pennsylvania, and 5 in Russia).

Yes, it does take planning and management skills, but it is not impossible.

I also contribute source code to several true open-source projects, containing source code from hundreds of developers.

Again, it takes management skills. But there are tools in place. You don't start out accepting source contributions from any random person. You release the source code, and as people make their own modifications, you integrate those changes back into the main version of the code. But those changes only get integrated AFTER a code-review process. All code, even the code written by Michael, should undergo a code review before it's added to the finished product. Otherwise, you will see bugs that pop up at the last second.

I understand there is a certain amount of personal attachment to the source code, which is often why developers of freeware don't release the source.

If there are plans to make it a commercial product, then not releasing the source code makes perfect sense. But if the program will forever be free, I see no reason not to release the source code. There are many types of licenses available that would prevent someone from selling their own version.

In any case, I too hope for a new release of FMS.

(Edited by cgadd at 8:42 pm on Sep. 6, 2001)
cgadd

Postby schumi » Wed Sep 19, 2001 9:14 am

I have belong Roman, a 3d program for create from RC of airplanes for FMS. possible wanted he for it the code to release, thus can everything still another little to it programming! If the brothers Moeller do not want to release the code for FMS have I for it full amplifier-modification-eat, because this project cost already some years time and cash!I'am sorry about this bad English, wrote the text with an on-line compiler/translator!
bis denne.....
(¯`·.¸Schumi¸.·´¯)
Moderator im
http://www.rc-sim.de
FMS-forum

..:::Lieber arm dran, als Bein ab:::..
schumi

Postby cgadd » Thu Sep 20, 2001 9:01 am

Try it without translator, even if you do not know the words for some things. The translator does VERY bad things to most messages.

I work with many russian programmers. If they attempt to use a translator program, I can tell right away. But if they just use whatever words they can, even if it is not perfect, it is much easier to figure out.
cgadd

Postby schumi » Thu Sep 20, 2001 12:52 pm

O.K I test it!;)
I have spoken with Roman(about FMS beta 7), and he said, that he programming a 3D program! It's to make Rc Planes for FMS (fms only?I don't know!)!Possibly, he wanted to release the source code for it! And I'am glad that he do what he say! FMS cost many times and cash, I think(and I would make the same)thats it, why Roman&Michael not release the FMS source code! This posting is createt by myself! Hope you understand it better!:)
bis denne.....
(¯`·.¸Schumi¸.·´¯)
Moderator im
http://www.rc-sim.de
FMS-forum

..:::Lieber arm dran, als Bein ab:::..
schumi

Postby cgadd » Thu Sep 20, 2001 6:13 pm

I do understand it better.

I understand that Roman and Michael have much time, and cash invested in FMS. And if that were the argument against releasing open-source, then I can not argue with it.

But keeping it closed-source will not pay them for their time or money, unless they plan on selling FMS.
cgadd

Postby bea » Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:57 am

Hello Guys I would like to make some comments about
what have been said about open source ...

First of all talking about things that people will do to your
open source project that will destroy it. This is nonsense!
That is not the way it works. I have my own small open
source project and it never happend. Reason is very
simple, only approved users can make changes into the
codebase. How do you find right people? Simply on
begining people send you fixes to code as an updated
sources ... all you have to do is to diff the sources against
cvs (versioning system) and accept/refuse them and
commit changes if answer is, yes. People who submit
good fixes for a period of time usually retrieve their
own access rights for cvs ...

PS: If there are sources available I would probably
volounteer and create Linux port as I have the skill
with 3D OpenGL ... :(

There is another reason why open source is good for
project like this ... usually a number of derived projects
arise from first parent GPL project ... in long term it serves
the community. This is especially true for hobby markets.

It is all about your decision whether you are willing to
become part of open source world that is made by
community for community or you rather prefer to be
owner of closed project, and hope that one day
it will produce some cashflow for you ...

bea

Postby Perry » Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:15 pm

Examine if you will the difficulty of programming with a team.

1. To help team members understand and contribute to the code, all existing code must be thoroughly commented. (Often when a project begins in private the existing code is understood and commented upon only after the coding is debugged.) Commenting Old code is laborious and can take as much writing as the code itself.

2. While the programmer is comenting code, he isn't writing upgrades. The clientele clammor ... more ... more ... more. He's commenting code.

3. Quality control is an issue. There needs to be a thorough code testing before release. Programmers all have different programming styles and it can be difficult to wade through another's code. I have often wondered while looking at someone else's code ..... hmmm ... what in tarnation does this do? Takes a lot of Time.

4. There needs to be a thorough code examination before release. Just knowing that contributed code works is not sufficient. Not knowing a person that is on the the programming team can allow unwanted worm holes and perhaps vindictive code cleverly concealed to be placed into the code. Most times this is an issue only when you're dealing with sensitive data, but with the Spammers, Spyware, and Viruses that already exist, it would be unhealthy to trust unconditionally.

5. Be warned Roman and Michael... You might loose control and knowlege of how your own dear FMS actually works! because the administrator actually spends more time in management of the team than he does programming himself. (This to me would be the worst effect of outsourcing). Programming code happens to be the programmer's first love. The love of creating something new from his own imagination is why he began the program anyway. The good side effect is that other people actually enjoy something that he created.

Lastly there is hope .. It can be done in spite of all these difficulties ... LINUX stands as a superb example.

Thanx Folks for producing an excellent program. In spite of it's few bugs at times, it is worth much more than most of the Software (junk) you can purchase off the shelves. This is a true work of art!

Perry
Perry

Postby Boone » Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:57 pm

Boone

Postby Flightbase » Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:33 pm

IRC Chat rund um den Modellbau:
Server: irc.flightgear.org Channel: #modellbau
Flightbase

Postby Ringding » Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:46 pm

I'd really love to get the source. I would like to add some modifications so I can model my actual transmitter/heli combo as closely as possible. I don't know about the new alphas, but a HH gyro would also be a nice addition.
Ringding

Return to Comments and Suggestions