FMS is not responding to transmitter controls

FMS is not responding to transmitter controls

Postby jvanepps » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:36 pm

I am running Win XP Pro SP3. The FMS version is Ver 2 Alpha 8.5. The transmitter is the ET4 that came with my esky KOB helicopter and it works fine flying the model.

I am using the USB interface cable that came with the transmitter and Windows reports a good USB connection to my computer.

The FMS software loads fine, and I can select any of the models to fly, but the program does not respond to any inputs from the transmitter. The selected model to fly is on the runway waiting to be taken off, but it does not respond to any controls. All of the settings on the transmitter are default as I received it.

Any ideas would be appreciated. TIA
jvanepps

Re: FMS is not responding to transmitter controls

Postby phildc » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:18 pm

Hi,
I think you did not CALIBRATE, and allocate the right channels.
About the channels, remmeber the top 4 ones refer to planes, and the bottom 4 ones are used for helicopters. The 4 top values should be replicated in the 4 lower, in the exact same sequence.
It is better to begin with a test of a simple plane. With helicopters, if something is wrong, it is quite difficult to understand what happens.

Phil.
phildc

Postby jvanepps » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:30 pm

Thanks Phil, but this radio does not have the switches you refer to. There are no channel switches...only reversing switches to reverse the direction of travel of the Rud, Elev, throttle, or Aileron sticks. The radio is comes defaulted to fly a helicopter. I have tried to fly both helicopter and airplanes in the simulator, and there is no response for either. I have tried every setup option in the FMS program, to no avail. It is as if the radio isn't even connected.
jvanepps

Postby phildc » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:00 am

When I am speaking of channels, I mean allocating the channels within FMS, not doing any change into your transmitter. For example, if your transmitter uses channle 2 for ailerons, you should tell fms (put 2 for ailerons and for the lateral cyclic od heli's). In fms you can also invert (reverse) and make less sesible around the neutral (exp = exponential).

But first you should receive your transmitter signals in fms and see some bars moving when you calibrate (following the instructions, and moving all sticks to full extent in all directions).

Two possible problems with your transmitter:
- a special mix between channels, dedictaed to helis. For fms, ONLY one channel should move with an horizontal or vertical movement of a stick.
- using another modulation: your cable probably recognizes ppm.

There are plenty of topics about this, especially a 'diagnostic' topic.

Phil.
phildc

Postby Steve Lewin » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:03 am

Note: phil is talking about the setup in Control/Analog Control/Joystick - Mapping/Calibration screen. When you've completed the calibration in there and filled the correct channels in the boxes on the LH side of the screen, if it still doesn't work let us know a) what the blue bars do when you move your controls and b) what exactly you have set up on the LH side.

BTW are you sure your cable is intended for use with simulators and not just for setting the transmitter up ?

Steve
Steve Lewin

Postby jvanepps » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:02 pm

Phil and Steve:

I got it working...sort of. I fear that part of the problem is that this control is not fully compatible with the program. The FMS program control setup under Analog/Joystick refers to only a Microsoft Single stick controller.

I will keep playing with it. Thanks for your help.
jvanepps

Postby Steve Lewin » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:25 am

Sounds like you need to a) calibrate the interface in Windows/GameControllers and b) make sure it is set as the "Preferred Device" - that's the only one that FMS will use. If you have other joysticks/controllers installed FMS may be trying to use those in preference to your transmitter interface.

Steve
Steve Lewin

Return to General Discussions